Wednesday, October 20, 2010

MOMMA JEWEL AND BABIES ARE SAFE!!!

Update: Lil Momma's new name is.....JEWEL! Thanks everyone for voting- she is definitely deserving of that name!

We just couldn't help it...their picture was posted with Monday being their last day. Kevin came to me in the am and said "go get them". I didn't even say a word about getting them because I know we already have our hands full, so it was nice to know I still have a partner in crime (he is a nut like me- I believe he would have more pups than I would if we had the room!).

Anyway, we met volunteer Alyssa from the Forrest City Area Humane Society (FCAHS) half-way from Forrest City, AR where this baby was found and she is now settling in. Check out her sad picture here...how could we let them die???



Lil' Momma will be named by 5 pm today either Aspen, Jewel, Rain, Gem (Gemmy), or Sapphire (Sapphy) thanks to my friends on Facebook who are voting (there's still time so go vote on my FB page!). Anyway, she was just petrified in the shelter.

She arrived as a stray on October 13th to the Forrest City Animal Shelter and gave birth to 6 babies that very day. Unfortunately, Lil Momma is very young herself (definitely under a year if we had to guess) and likely this is her first litter (and last). She did not break the first baby's sac and he/she sadly didn't make it. Thankfully, Animal Control Officers recognized the problem and helped her with the other 5. I am sure that stress did not help either.

Lil Momma has a rescue in KY that is willing to take her, but we just need to keep her safe and get her stable before she can go. She will be going to the vet tomorrow to make sure she is doing ok as she is not in the greatest shape herself. She is pretty thin and overall a bit weak, but she is improving daily.

Below is a summary of her first few days with us:

Day 1 (Mon): extremely timid; may defecate on herself when you pick her up (did this once when we made the exchange and twice at home); had a much needed bath and de-flead (if that's a word); babies de-flead as much as possible; have to pick her up out of her crate to go outside and inside; ate chicken and rice with some high quality food mixed in (loved it!)


Day 2 (Tues): still timid (been giving her space but talking sweetly to her), but had a few small breakthroughs; wagged her tail and actually came around the corner to see me rather than running the other way outside; eating very well today (3 times- chicken and rice....the miracle food); walked in to her "room" on her own; checked out her new roomies, Rascal and Spanky

Her new roomies, Spanky and Rascal (they have been very welcoming to their new neighbor thankfully)

Day 3 (Wed): huge breakthroughs so far today and it's only noon; Kevin came in from outside around 6:30 am so excited that she ran up to him on the steps wagging her tail; she followed me out to the "big grassy yard" today and pooped (I know...but it was very exciting) and then came over to me wagging her tail and whining; gave me her paw 3 times while she sat in front of me (she's trying to make friends with me or thanking me for the yummy food- lol). At 8 pm, this little sweetie came out of her exercise pen and walked outside on her own- WHOO HOO! She has the cutest little "whine" when she comes closer. I do believe I see more "milk" now too- I guess the good food is helping :)

Can't wait to see how the rest of the the week goes- we will keep everyone posted!

2 comments:

  1. You and Kevin are truly angels on earth, Allie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bobbie- Just wish I lived in the county like you :) Someday Kevin and I will have some sort of doggy-related business so we can "live" doing what we both love the most! You are an angel too!

    ReplyDelete